Voltage drop calcs for fine-stranded cable [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Fri May 27 15:33:59 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Wrenches,

I'm having problems finding a definitive answer regarding voltage drop
calculations on fine stranded wire.

When figuring direct current resistance of cable using NEC Table 8, Note 1
suggests that the values will likely be different for different stranding
types.  Is there a table somewhere that documents such differences in
resistance for X-Flex cable, or are there no significant differences?  The
engineer I spoke with at Cobra Wire indicated that I should just use the
NEC table, but he wasn't very convincing.

I've also submitted this question to John Wiles and will report back any
helpful responses that he provides.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT
435-425-2110

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPbbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com