battery stuff [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Tue Nov 16 09:26:49 PST 2004

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Obz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

--On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:47 AM -0800 "Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services" <toddcory at finestplanet.com> wrote:

> One of the things I do when not putting in RE systems, is to work at our
> local 6.5 mW hydro plant. It has been in service for 20 years now, and
> time to replace the 120 volt DC, back up battery bank. To date we have
> had a set of 20, six volt @100 ah lead calcium flooded cells. The cells
> are rarely cycled and these have proved to be a good, low maintenance,
> reliable back up supply. The plant owners are wanting to switch to gel
> or AGM cells. I think replacing what we have now would be best.
>
> Questions... what do other list folks think? Would AGM batteries last 20
> years? Would they perform as well as the lead calcium cells we have been
> using?

If properly cared for, the flooded cells will last longer (and usually cost less to acquire.)

However, depending on your local codes and AHJ, the total cost of properly implementing a flooded solution can be higher.  If the cells were not originally housed in a separate room built with acid dams, explosion-proof lighting, approved ventilation, etc. you will sometimes be required to meet those standards now.  Some insurance carriers also factor wet cells into their numbers differently than they do AGMs.

This is why much of the telecom industry has switched to AGM's in the past decade.

.

Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Qbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com