Tankless Water Heater Scaling etc. [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 29 06:56:49 PDT 2004

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacNoQbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Matt, Dean, Tom et al,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Here in St. Louis Missouri we have what is ranked nationally as only
moderately hard water. HOWEVER, I have cut open too many  120 gallon solar
tanks and witnessed a solid mass of calcium(?) around the heat exchanger on
systems that did not incorporate a water softener. Sometimes a solid mass
on HX that _did_ have a water softener. Go figure? Similarly, I have had to
perform the manual descale of tankless heater heat exchangers so to totally
believe the explanation that expansion of the heat exchanger wall totally
eliminates the deposit build up doesn't always wash. With all due respect
the thermal expansion cycling of the tankless HX does pass a _lot_ more
debris on to the faucet aerator but I can tell you first hand that it is
not a total solution. Moreover, I have witnessed first hand a surprising
amount of deposit build up on the working (moving) parts of the water valve
in as little time as two years after installation in a retired couple's two
person household (not a lot of water heating). Oh, by the way they had a
magnet on their high end pull out faucet spray and he told me that it
clogged regularly.

I won't be as adamant as Tom about the viability of the magnet principle
but I have seen where it doesn't work and I've asked for independent
validation of one vendor's product which he could not produce. If there is
a better mousetrap out there, I'll come around but not before I can look
the customer in the eye and tell him that I would spend my money for the
product I'm pitching.

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

RE-wrenches said:
> Magnets cannot have any effect on water- it violates all the laws of
physics  there is no
>scientific evidence and no credible chemist or physicist who  gives any
credence to this voodoo- my
>apologies to all  witch doctors  gator tom

Get your Golden Tee CD ROM on us
http://click.topica.com/caacNoDbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php