Tankless Water Heater Scaling etc. [RE-wrenches]

Pat Redgate solarpro at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 17:04:45 PDT 2004

Like music? Get a CD Player here
http://click.topica.com/caacNowbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

In a message dated 10/29/2004 9:14:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, deant at dcn.org
writes:
There appears to be substantial anecdotal support for the products, and
significant use in the field.

My first introduction to this "technology" was in 1981.  The claims being
made by a rep at that time seemed fantastic and were unsupported by any American
laboratory tests.  However, there was a great deal of literature available
from Russian "scientists."

I filed it in the "sucker-born-every-minute" drawer (since filled and emptied
many times) and offered to provide the device if any prospect ever asked for
one with a caveat on voodoo science (at that time voodoo math from the Reagan
administration was in the same filing cabinet).

In 1990 I serviced a residential sdhw -- two big Lordans, eighty gallon
recirc, direct water based.  The panels had burst from a freeze because the recirc
protection failed to protect the panels due to extensive liming in the
waterways.  The valves didn't work, the pump volute and impeller were coated with
calcium carbonates, and the tubing had a layer nearly as thick as the copper.
After brazing the panels, the neighbor living right next door asked me to look
over his system to give a bid for an R & R for reroof.  We later took apart
this identical system which had been sold and installed by the same firm during
the early 80's.

But, the tubing was clean, no liming at all (bright copper), all of the
valves worked, even the air vent was operational.  The only difference between
these two systems was the presence of an inline magnetic water conditioner by
Superior.

In later years I have noticed that some manufacturers of commercial water
heaters provide a magnet with their vessel.  Now, I have a few on my own home.
Apparently you need a pretty strong magnet for the device to work on a single
pass, and the magnetic field is weakened if the unit gets hot, as in a solar
loop.

A quick google provided the following "research..."

http://www.aquadoc.com/research.htm

Hey, has anybody ever heard of global warming?  Is this voodoo too?

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
562.595.9570
www.amecosolar.com