small diesel generator [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Mon Jun 21 09:40:19 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

--On Monday, June 21, 2004 5:00 PM +0100 Hugh Piggott <hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk> wrote:

> I really was not aware that AC generators were so terribly inefficient.

Self-exciting 12-lead alternators are not all *that* inefficient, typically peaking around 83% with 1.0 PF at half power but dropping down to 70% at full rated output.  At 0.8 PF, the load curve peaks around 80% and falls off faster, dropping to 60-65% at full output (which is of course lower than at 1.0)

Modern permanent magnet high frequency multiphase alternators can do well over 90% and are a fraction of the size & weight of a comparably rated 50/60 Hz unit.  Combine that with variable engine speed and you can see significant reductions in fuel consumption.

>   I wonder why there are so many systems being installed using synchronising sine wave inverters, SW, FX etc...  We should ignore AC generators and sell our customers DC generators.  Why didn't we do this years ago?  Why is there even a market for the SW and other inverter/chargers?  What's going on??

Big PM alternators were not available and are still a little rare, but the situation is improving.  Combine that with the widespread deployment of sinewave inverters and it starts to get interesting.

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com