ABB Type AB1 Meters for Net Metering [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Apr 8 08:32:24 PDT 2004

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU’s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime – anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caab6anbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ AIU

Todd and all,

The Utah Net Metering Law has similar provisions:

"(b) allow customer generation systems to be interconnected to the
electrical corporation's facilities using, except as provided in Subsection
(3), a standard kilowatt-hour meter capable of net metering."

Unfortunately, in Subsection (3) of our law, the "governing authority", in
this case, the board of directors of the co-op, has the discretion to
decide that other meters should be used.  The rationale only need be that
it is "necessary and appropriate" and "considering the benefits and costs
associated with the other metering equipment".  That's vague language which
probably allows them to do pretty much whatever they want.

Fortunately, on the other hand, I don't think that the co-op's metering
intentions are a formal part of their "policy" yet, as the information that
I've obtained so far has all been verbal - nothing in their written policy
such as it is.  Considering I'm a paying member of this co-op, and also
considering that the Utah law does require public notice and opportunity
for comment, I think I've got plenty of grounds to challenge their verbally
stated intentions at this point.  The information that I've been getting on
and off-list is extremely helpful in putting my case together.

Any additional technical data or direct utility experience that anyone has
regarding ABB Type AB1 Form 2S meters will be welcomed, thanks to all who
have replied.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT

At 06:35 AM 4/8/04 -0700, you wrote:
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>From: "Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services" <toddcory at finestplanet.com>
>Subject: Re: ABB Type AB1 Meters for Net Metering [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 06:35:41 -0700
>
>John,
>
>I don't know what your states net metering policy is but in CA it states
>that if
>the existing equipment is capable of measuring the flow of energy in either
>direction the utility company cannot charge for special metering
>equipment. Our
>IOU, PP&L, was charging $500.00 for their digital meter... but now (after PUC
>litigation on my behalf) they can no longer do that.
>
>The California Net metering law which clearly states: .....

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aibz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com