ABB Type AB1 Meters for Net Metering [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Apr 8 06:35:41 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6Pibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
John,

I don't know what your states net metering policy is but in CA it states that if
the existing equipment is capable of measuring the flow of energy in either
direction the utility company cannot charge for special metering equipment. Our
IOU, PP&L, was charging $500.00 for their digital meter... but now (after PUC
litigation on my behalf) they can no longer do that.

The California Net metering law which clearly states:

(3) "Net energy metering" means measuring the difference between the electricity
supplied through the
 electric grid and the electricity generated by an eligible customer-generator
and fed back to the electric grid
 over a 12-month period as described in subdivision (e).

Net energy metering shall be accomplished using a  single meter capable of
registering the flow of electricity in two directions. An additional meter or
meters to monitor the flow of electricity in each direction may be installed
with the consent of the customer-generator, at the expense of the electric
service provider,

and the additional metering shall be used only to provide the information
necessary to accurately bill or credit the customer-generator pursuant to
subdivision (e), or to collect solar or wind electric generating system
performance information for research purposes. If the  existing electrical meter
of an eligible customer-generator is not capable of measuring the flow of
electricity in  two directions, the customer-generator shall be responsible for
all expenses involved in purchasing and
 installing a meter that is able to measure electricity flow in two directions.
If an additional meter or meters are
 installed, the net energy metering calculation shall yield a result identical
to that of a single meter. An eligible
 customer-generator who already owns an existing solar or wind turbine
electrical generating facility, or a
 hybrid system of both, is eligible to receive net energy metering service in
accordance with this section.

Todd

John Raynes wrote:

> Do any of you know of utilities using electromechanical, Type AB1, Form 2S,
> kWh meters in grid tied installations?  Note: ABB sold their meter division
> (at least the electromechanical portion) to Elster Electricity LLC a few
> years ago, but I believe they're still the same meters.  These are the
> meters used pretty extensively by our rural co-op.
>
> I tried to get some applications help from Elster but to no avail.  I'm
> looking for evidence that these meters are being used successfully by some
> other utilities, running bi-directionally and adequately measuring net
> totals.  Our co-op wants to charge $600-$700 for a Landis+Gyr four-quadrant
> electronic meter, and I'm going to try to talk them out of it, if I can
> show some evidence that the Type AB1's are working fine elsewhere.
>
> Any input you know of regarding these meters and their uses will be very
> helpful,
>
> John Raynes
> RE Solar
> Torrey UT
> www.re-solar.com

Need to find the right school to fit your needs
CollegeInformation.info has already found it. Get educated
on your future – degrees, financial aid and more!
http://click.topica.com/caab6afbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com