Playing with MC connectors and USE-2 [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Tue Mar 16 15:10:58 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi y'All,
Quick note on rats eating insulation, in Vermont we discovered tha the
rats would eat the insulation where the installers had touched it. We
concluded that the rats were attracted to the salt left by handling the
wire. One could wear gloves if concerned.

cul  deant

Bill Brooks wrote:

>Mark,
>
>Still looking for a picture of a piece of USE-2 cable eaten by a critter. I
>have actually heard of rodents gnawing on the aluminum frame and leaving the
>conductor alone. The stuff has a nasty compound in it for the express
>purpose of keeping critters away. I'm willing to change my view on this, but
>I think the whole critter issue is a red herring.
>
>Now USE-2 has to be properly supported which is open to the inspector's
>disgression. If it is on a ground mounted system below 8', it will require
>careful tucking of all conductors in the frames so that the wire can't be a
>hand hold for someone climbing under the array. This may be very difficult
>or impossible in some cases. Great reason for a patio cover that is at least
>8' tall. However, conduit needs support near any fitting or box and rarely
>gets it in a PV array.
>
>Bill.

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org