Playing with MC connectors and USE-2 [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Mar 16 11:54:54 PST 2004

Mark,

Still looking for a picture of a piece of USE-2 cable eaten by a critter. I
have actually heard of rodents gnawing on the aluminum frame and leaving the
conductor alone. The stuff has a nasty compound in it for the express
purpose of keeping critters away. I'm willing to change my view on this, but
I think the whole critter issue is a red herring.

Now USE-2 has to be properly supported which is open to the inspector's
disgression. If it is on a ground mounted system below 8', it will require
careful tucking of all conductors in the frames so that the wire can't be a
hand hold for someone climbing under the array. This may be very difficult
or impossible in some cases. Great reason for a patio cover that is at least
8' tall. However, conduit needs support near any fitting or box and rarely
gets it in a PV array.

Bill.