Hialeah KWH meter wiring diagrams [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Tue Feb 17 10:50:46 PST 2004

Kirk, Christopher & All,

> When I talked to Hialeah last week, thats exactly what they told me was
> needed, a 12S, 120 volt meter. Maybe that's what Kurt is using also.
> Although Doug P. says it works with a "standard 4 terminal, J5 meter". The
> hialeah meters I have in the shop are Form 2S "J4S" type. Maybe the J5 has
> 120 volt coil. ...........Corn-fusing!!!!

I installed a form 2S Type J5S meter (reconditioned Schlumberger cyclometer
from Austin Int) on an Outback system exactly like Doug described. We don't
have the sell-back upgrade yet, but it's clear that it is not working
properly. All grid power in spins the meter dial forward, whether it's
charging the batteries, or pass-through/bypass to the subpanel load.

So, I understand that the legs going into the 2S meter need to be 240-V?This
system has an X-240 transformer for the well pump. However, it's switched on
by the pressure switch to save energy. Is it possible to use this
transformer to do the necessary hocus-pocus? Or, will it be easier to get a
form 12S meter and 5th socket upgrade kit?

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems