Voltage limiting w/ C40 [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Sun Feb 8 09:45:56 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Wrenches,

I agree with Daryl on a regulation method. I can clarify other
factors that contribute to decoupling of a mag-coupled pump.

Decoupling is caused by exceeding the TORQUE capacity of the
coupling. Once the magnetic poles are pulled out of the range of
strong attraction, the thing completely decouples. The motor keeps
spinning, but the impeller just sits still. (No harm is done to the
pump, and it will re-couple when the motor stops.)

The torque increases with speed (voltage). So, in a given
installation, there will be a critical voltage at which it will tend
to decouple.

In all centrifugal pumps (including blowers), the torque (load on the
motor) DECREASES as the head increases. (That's why a vacuum cleaner
speeds up when it's blocked.)

This means that an efficient hydronic system (with low friction loss)
will put greater load on the pump -- BUT the pump will push a
proportionally greater flow. The pump is doing more work and is more
energy-efficient. However, this type of system is more likely to
decouple!

The variance in head in various applications helps account for why
some March pumps may decouple at 27V and others at 32V.

Factors that will cause unwanted decoupling include ANY factors that
cause excessive torque at the coupling. In other words, any source of
mechanical friction at the impeller. A pump that is decoupling
mysteriously should be taken apart and inspected for debris or
deposits that make it harder to turn. An impeller that is harder to
turn at one point in the rotation tends to bounce against the
magnetic force. The torque peak at the low point of the bounce will
cause a very premature decoupling.

Decoupling can be predicted. The torque is proportional to the amp
draw of the pump. The pump should never decouple within its rated
amps range. If you are at a site when the voltage is (let's say) 26V
and the pump current draw is close to its rated maximum, you should
suspect that it will exceed the max. and may be in danger of
decoupling.

If decoupling occurs at the max. rated current or less, the pump is
at fault. If there isn't friction in the impeller, then the magnets
may be weak, or misaligned.

I ask -- is this a common problem, or a rare one?

Windy

Darryl Thayer wrote:
>Brad
>I have had problems with the March magnetic coupling
>also, I never knew what the problem was however.
>
>At 26 or 27 volts then you are to close to the limit.
>This small delta is not practical.  First you must
>limit the voltage to the pump to less than 24.
>However, at 26 or 27 the battery is not fully charged.
>

>IMO you must limit the voltage to the pump, I would
>use a series regulator.  YOu can buy a three terminal
>positive adjustable regulator that can handle 5 amps
>and your pump is only maybe 2 or 3 amps. If the pump
>is more use a cheaper regulator with a power
>transistor.
>
>Daryl

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com