Voltage limiting w/ C40 [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 20:43:09 PST 2004

Brad
I have had problems with the March magnetic coupling
also, I never knew what the problem was however.

At 26 or 27 volts then you are to close to the limit.
This small delta is not practical.  First you must
limit the voltage to the pump to less than 24.
However, at 26 or 27 the battery is not fully charged.

IMO you must limit the voltage to the pump, I would
use a series regulator.  YOu can buy a three terminal
positive adjustable regulator that can handle 5 amps
and your pump is only maybe 2 or 3 amps. If the pump
is more use a cheaper regulator with a power
transistor.

Daryl

Daryl

--- Brad Bassett <bsbassett at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I discovered today that at 30+ volts (first really
> sunny day in a
> while), my March 809HS-24v loses its magnetic
> coupling to the pump
> rotor. (snip)
> can a C40 be used as a voltage limiter? (snip)

> Any potential
> problems with interference with the Tristar PV
> regulator or inverters?
> Would it get wired with battery input into the PV
> lugs and the load on
> the battery lugs? Other options besides changing
> pumps?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad Bassett
> AEE