KC167's & SH167's in same series string & mppt [RE-wrenches]

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 10:30:29 PST 2004

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/KnockOutDebt

Wrenches,

I have a customer we installed a 2 kW PV system for
last year.  The existing array is 12 Sharp 167 watt
modules on a Sunny Boy 1800.  He now wants to add six
modules and upgrade to a SunnyBoy 2500.

We have six Kyocera 167's in our warehouse, which I'd
like to make use of since we won't be getting any more
in the near future.  Will there be a substantial power
penalty by adding these modules in series to the
existing Sharp 167's?

The electrical characteristics of the two modules are
very close, but not exact.  The Kyocera has a slightly
lower Vmp (.3 volts), which I'm thinking shouldn't be
of much consequence since the voltages should just add
in series.  The Kyocera also has a slightly higher Imp
(.1 amps) which shouldn't create a bottleneck for the
existing array.

Are my assumptions safe here, or will this throw off
the mppt function of the inverter?

Cheers,

=====
Jerry Caldwell