SW+, Batteries, & Generator Experiences [RE-wrenches]

Ron Stauffer rstauffer at rocketweb.net
Wed Dec 1 05:31:53 PST 2004

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/TopOffers
SW+   Yes, I would look for a GFI or GFI controlled circuit.  These are more
common in smaller gensets.  The SW would detect these as well.  I had to
reconfigure outlets on a Honda genset.

Batteries  I have had a lot of battery failures recently.  Thankfully these
were systems that I had not installed.  These are all offgrid and well
maintained.  The other thing in common was that they are Trojan L16 Pacers
produced in mid late 99.  We have replaced 25% of the batteries in each bank
because of bad cells.  I have similar aged systems out there that have
Trojan L16HC and US Battery and no failures.  Anybody else seen similar
failures?

Rolls/Surrette does seem to have quality control issues as well.  Everything
from unsealed cases to overfilled cells to unequal initial charging.  And I
just replaced a 14 month old S530 because of cell failure.

Coleman Powerstation   Coleman has bounced around a lot on product
components of these units.  Make sure you get a newer Honda powered unit,
there are still older Briggs Vanguard powered units out there that are not
two wire start.  On the older units, we had to use Dynagen engine controls
to make them compatible to an inverter and it seemed like the wiring
schematic varied on each one we set.

Generator Remote Start Current Draws  I too have had a broad spectrum of
current draws from auto start controls on the genset battery.  Onan and
Kohler seem to have no draws and will sit idle for long periods without
draining a battery - at least the models I have exposure to.  Generacs seem
to be the worst at 140 milliamps - we put a 10 watt solar panel & controller
on these.  Even Dynagen controls use 14 milliamps which will eventually
drain a medium sized genset battery.  Anybody using any other aftermarket
engine controls that have zero draw?

Ron Stauffer

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com