More Trouble with SW+ [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Dec 2 13:39:03 PST 2004

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Hi Mark;

Tech support can't give the info I need. Is there someone specific say in
engineering that can answer my questions?
Also, speaking of questions: what is the deal with the DR series surge
capacity. I have the old brochure with a time vs. watts chart. It shows for
instance that a DR2424 will surge to about 7000 watts for 1 minute. The new
brochure I got from the Xantrex website shows no chart, but a 5 sec. surge
of 6200 watts. The new brochure's 100mSec rating is about equal to the old
1 minute rating. Again tech support couldn't answer that question. What is
the deal, did the DR inverter actually change, or did
the test procedure change, or did marketing want to downplay the DR surge
capability?
I am attempting to put the best comparison info on my website, and I need
to clarify this.
Sorry to be such a nit picker, but if I'm going to try and give people
information, I have an obligation to do my best. 1/10 of second is a long
way from 1 minute. I like the Logarithmic charts shown in the manual for
the SW+ series. Does engineering have something similar for the DR & UX series?

Thanks,

Ray

>Hi Ray,
>
>I don't think this is a software issue, as both units you tried should be
>the same version. Does the generator have a GFCI breaker on the output?
>The EMI filter caps on the AC1 and 2 inputs may be causing enough leakage
>current to make some GFCI's think there is a ground fault when the relays
>close, which could explain what you are seeing. We have tested the Plus
>units on a lot of different generators and haven't had any problems, but
>most had standard breakers.
>
>Contact our tech support guys at the numbers below to get some more help
>with this.
>
>Thanks
>

>Mark Edmunds
>Xantrex Technology Inc.

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacVmkbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/LeadClick

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com