Load control [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Fri Nov 5 17:31:28 PST 2004

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacOlzbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

William,
The C40 is a PWM controller with no adjustment for turn on, turn off.
Inappropriate for driving a relay or any motor load. It should be
used for resistive loads only. You need a very simple voltage
controlled switch with adjustable on and off points to drive the
relay. If you are using an SW inverter, you've got it built in
already. If an SW+, buy the ALM module.
bob-O
>Friends:
>
>I am working on a system for load control in which the load is a 240
>well pump.  It worked  well for about a year using a Xantrex C40 to
>drive a two pole relay.
>
>About two months ago the client complained that the well would
>occasionally run until the battery V got low enough for the inverter
>to shut of.  We could never observe this happening, but with my new
>data acquisition system, we recorded it doing this.  The battery
>voltage went below the set point of 22 volts, but the C40 continued
>to drive the relay.
>
>I had another used C40 in the shop so I swapped them out.  I
>recorded performance for another 24 hours and it worked well (excuse
>the pun) and I then removed the recording equipment.
>
>This morning I received a message from the client indicating the
>unit had yesterday again discharged the batteries.  Unique to this
>situation is the fact that we had such a rainy day that I doubt the
>C40 reached the reconnect point.
>
>Have any of you used a C40 to control loads?  to what success?
>
>Thanks,
>
>William Miller

Get your Golden Tee CD ROM on us
http://click.topica.com/caacOlvbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData