Updated Solar Tankless [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 29 20:56:48 PDT 2004

Claim your companion air fare now!
http://click.topica.com/caacNoxbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Hi Nick,

If you remember that the one specialty in which America is still a world
class player is marketing then you might understand the convoluted story
which follows.

The trade marked Aquastar name is currently owned by Bosch, who currently
produces (in Portugal) a range of tankless water heaters. All Bosch water
heater products legitimately come into this country only through their sole
distributor Controlled Energy Corporation in Vermont. Prior to the
introduction of their 175,000 BTU/h unit Bosch had discontinued their 170
model and that left only the smaller (117,000 or 125,000 BTU/h) units.
During that period CEC marketed the Takagi TK-1, initially as a Takagi unit
and later as an Aquastar 240, essentially capitalizing on the brand
recognition of the Aquastar name.

The three gas models (hydro spark 117K, power vented 125K and the newest
175K units are  the only ones currently represented  in the Pro Tankless
series. These are the exact same units as their corresponding Aquastar
brothers but distributed through the plumbing wholesale channel. Neither
the solar preheat model (125BS) nor the base model (125B) is represented in
the Pro Tankless series. The Pro Tankless series have their own Pro
Tankless decal, Pro Tankless labeled shipping box, Pro Tankless labeled
installation/owner's manual, Pro Tankless labeled sales literature, a 15 v
12 year warranty and different pricing. Reportedly, the big box outlets
will only _display_ the base model in the stores.The Aquastars have not
disappeared, they just have cloned cousins with different last names.

Isn't America great.

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

RE-wrenches said:
>   Anyone know the story of the new Bosch Pro Tankless series? I've  heard
the old Bosch Aquastars
>were actually manufactured by Takagi  and the new Pro Tankless really
originates with Bosch? We've
>had a  couple pass through the store but no chance to take it out of the
package. The 425 HN is
>essentially the old 125 HX with both the hydro  ignition and the solar
preheat S/modulation option
>combined. Costs  about $100 more but seems like the best option for off
grid  installations
>desiring solar thermal.   Also, Scott mentioned that he's about to install
a TK Jr and will  post
>the results of phantom /standby draw. I'd love to see the  results since
I've heard .4 amps from a
>tech at Takagi but he didn't  seem to be certain about it. That sort of
consumption forces it to be
> on a switch but yet again the they could not guarantee that it's  alright
to be turning it off and
>on that many times or something  about it being alright as long as you
were not using the
>temperature  remote controller? Any experiences?

>Thanks again, Nick A Lucchese

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacNoTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com