Dual Submersible install [RE-wrenches]

Ron Stauffer rstauffer at rocketweb.net
Fri Oct 22 15:05:05 PDT 2004

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacKOVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/LeadClick

I have to agree with Windy that this could become a tough install.  Wells in
our area commonly have a liner smaller than the well casing above grade.  My
own well has a 4" ID liner with a 6" casing.  Liner starts about 6' below
grade.  In my own well, I have a electric submersible with 1" poly drop
pipe(no couplers) and a separate 2" windmill drop pipe (2 1/2" OD couplers).
It was a very tight fit (2 1/2 + 1 1/4 into 4" liner) to get down 200'.  The
fact that the first in sub drop pipe has no couplers and the elec sub
service cable was wire tied every 5' made it possible.

Another factor that would influence the distance between the two pumps is
the drawdown.  How much are both pumps capable of pumping and what is the
production of your well?

DEFINITELY secure the drop pipe of the elec sub.  I had to pull up my wind
mill drop pipe slightly for adjustment and picked up my sub drop pipe as
well loosening it in the pitless adapter!  Luckily it didn't come the whole
way out.  You could secure by putting the T handle into the pitless and
anchoring it down to the well casing.

We have set pumps as deep as 400' free hand but you will not pull one from
200' with two people after being pumped.  Once it has been operated the
check valve will hold the water in the drop pipe and it does make a
difference in weight.   If this is potable water, use type 3408 poly or the
newer "blue pipe" Pier Core manufacturer.  The fittings for blue pipe are
much more secure than barb fittings in poly.

Two pitless adapters makes the most sense.  If you do have a well liner
smaller than the casing, the pitless has a tendency to kick a stiff drop
pipe to the far side.  This will make it tough going for the first few feet
for the second drop.

If you are lucky, you will wonder what all the warnings about.  There is
just too many variables in doing this that could lead to too many problems.

Good Luck!
Ron Stauffer