Dual Submersible install [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Oct 22 16:36:38 PDT 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacL7Jbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Ron,

Thanks for your additional input. I called Nick on the phone and yes,
he is using suitable poly pipe for the hand-installation. He has an
junk diaphragm submersible in the back that he will send down as a
"dummy" to test for clearance. I also suggested he has the customer run
his AC pump for some time so that when he pulls the dummy up, he will
also be able to find the drawdown level by feeling where the rope gets
wet. Knowing that, he won't be likely to put the new pump down way
lower than necessary (risking a snag).

I urge anyone on the list to consider installations like this "well" in
advance. You may wish to download the instruction manual for ETAPUMP or
ETAPUMP Mini from www.dankoffsolar.com (they are the same in terms of
installation details). Regardless of what solar pump you may consider,
our manual will give you details and precautions about double-pump and
other unusual installations, including connection of the pump to the
intake (bottom) of a windmill cylinder, plus hand installation details,
pitless adapters, etc.

We give details about double pumps because retaining an existing AC
pump is an economical way to provide a completely independent backup
system, or the possibility to pump greater amounts of water in case of
construction, fire, accidental water loss, etc. Besides, customers
don't like to be told to discard a "perfectly good" AC pump. Also, some
people install 2 solar submersibles, if 1 is not enough, using the same
double-sub concept.

And Ron, we agree about 2 pitless adapters being the best way to go,
with pumps hanging (and piped) independently. Just hope there isn't a
slab poured around the casing! In Nick's case, there is a slab, but
there's about 8" of casing above it, which is enough to install pitless
adapters.

It's very unlikely that Nick find a liner in a 4" casing as that would
be too restrictive for most pumps. It would only be done in order to
salvage a well with a damaged casing. However, you do bring up a good
precaution for 2-pump consideration. I have heard of larger casings
having a transition to a smaller one (or a liner). For example, in
Colorado, law says the top 20' of the casing must be steel, but below
that can be plastic. There, they often use plastic 4 or 5", then use
larger ID only for the top section! The way to check is with a good
flashlight, or if the sun is out, use a mirror to shine a beam down the
casing. You can see a long way down that way!

Downward!
Windy

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacLQdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData