Dual Submersible install [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Oct 22 12:38:33 PDT 2004

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacKOVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/LeadClick

Hi Nick.

You are asking for trouble. The 1" pipe has couplings every 20 feet,
and the OD of the couplings is about 1.5". If the pipe was closely
adjacent to the wall of the casing all the way down, you can clear it
with some luck. If the pump hangs from a pitless adapter, this might
work. However, it's certainly not out of the way where it attaches to
the center of the AC pump (and for maybe 30 feet above that). Since you
are hanging the ETAPUMP 40' higher than the AC, you might manage this
OK.

In the ETAPUMP manual, Secion 7.3, there are warnings about hand
installation, with a means of estimating the weight. Two guys can
handle it down to 200 feet if you are using 3/4" poly pipe (per
instructions and warnings) but if you have to do ANY pulling or
maneuvering, you might be sorry. I would suggest having a 3rd person
and at least a kid. The kid (or whoever) tends the poly pipe as it is
pulled up, to prevent it from kinking. Keep the safety rope unbound
from the rest of the drop assembly, so you can tie it to a nearby
anchor if you need a break from holding it.

If you are using PVC pipe, you'll have other issues because of its
stiffness.

If I were you, I'd make a dummy out of some kind of pipe or turned wood
(with weight to sink it) -- a cylinder the same diameter as the
ETAPUMP, or a speck larger, and lower it down with 200' of rope to
check your clearance down and back up.

You don't need a double well seal (custom job) if you two pitless
adapters, one for each pump. The pitless adapter is a device commonly
used for submersible pumps to allow the pipe to exit underground. It is
illustrated in Section 13.3 of the ETAPUMP manual. Place the second
pitless opposite the first, and the pumps will hang as far apart as
possible. Then, you use a simple well cap on top that allows only the
wiring to exit via conduit. The higher pump can be pulled separately
from the lower one, if nothing snags.

If you use a double well seal that sits atop the casing, you will have
to support the AC pump somehow while you deal with the ETA, and that
can get very tricky at the end of the assembly unless the seal splits
in half, or ?. With hand assembly, you might be asking for trouble.

I would reconsider doing this job only with the AC pump secured
independently and the only way I know to do that is by using two
pitless adapters.

I'm sending you another message with my cell phone number to reach me
today or tomorrow if you need to. Please don't rush into this.

Windy Dankoff
Dankoff Solar Products, Inc.
Exclusive Importer,
ETAPUMP Solar Submersible Pumps

> Greetings Fellow Wrenches,
>  Tomorrow I head out to finish an installation of an ETA Pump that is
> to be installed with an existing 240v submersible. Panels to disco and
> controller conduit to well head is already in place so I'm hoping for
> a somewhat shorter day than the first. I've never dropped a second
> pump next to an existing before and wondering if anyone out there has
> any helpful tips or recommendations from experience they've had with
> such an install. The well has a 6" casing and the existing pump
> utilizes a 1" discharge pipe so I'm hoping for a smooth drop. It will
> be lowered by the owner and myself by hand almost 240' with many
> opportunities to snag on the existing pump, especially if the bundle
> wraps were spaced further rather than closer apart. One of my fears is
> that it will snag and force us to pull up the existing and lower both
> at the same time which is impossible to accomplish with just two
> people. What would be the ideal distance of separation between the two
> pumps in the well?
>
>  Any tips or recommendations would certainly be helpful from those
> with any experience on such an install. Also, any resources on where
> to get dual discharge and electrical port well seals? I was successful
> at getting one fabricated from our local well supplier but at $120 it
> seems there must be a better resource available.
>
> As always thanks for your time,
>
> Nick A Lucchese

Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacLQbbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData