off grid battery equalization [RE-wrenches]

Jay Peltz, Peltz Power jay at asis.com
Mon Sep 20 08:54:27 PDT 2004

Click here and walk away with your free Chevy collectible.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvMbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Hi Jeff,

I've seen this problem with Surrettes before.  They have a different
electrolite solution so they charge differently.

Had a customer who took meticulus notes, ( on some big Rolls) and could
never get them to come right on the hydrometer or volts.  Never got a good
response from Rolls either.

Also know of a number of dealers in my area who no longer carry
Rolls/surrette for the same problems you are having.

Couldn't say if the life or amp capacity isn't correct, but they do act
differently.

Curious about 1 thing.  Why 16 batteries?

Thanks,

jay

Peltz Power

> I have an off grid client that has a 1.4 kW array, a 6.5 kW Kohler
> generator, and 16 Decca L-16 size 350 Amp-Hr batteries.  System worked
> great for 5 years, although limited sun-hours due to being in bottom
> of a canyon!.  He needed generator about 3 hours run time twice a
> week. Client recently decided to replace batteries and we supplied 16
> Rolls Surrette S460 batteries (350AH @ 20 hrs).
>
> Client cannot get these new batteries up to full charge.  Nothing else
> changed in system, same solar input, same generator run time, same
> loads.  He has tried setting his MPPT controller for equalize, then at
> end of day setting the Trace SW40 for equalize and running generator
> up to 6 hours.  He has also tried to "fool" the inverter by resetting
> the bulk and absorption charge setpoints up to 30 volts to avoid the
> inverter shutting down the generator before a full equalize charge is
> complete (which is what it is doing now).
>
> He has monitored the charging progress by sp.gr. readings and Amp-hour
> meter and still can only reach a 75% full level.  Nothing seems to get
> these even close to 100%.  There are 2 batteries out of the 16 with
> sp.gr. staying slightly below the others, but since we cannot reach
> equalization, we cannot force the battery bank to balance.
>
> The old batteries did not have this problem and the owner is starting
> to feel the higher priced Surrette batteries are not as good as his
> older Decca L-16 batteries which he could re-charge to at least 90%
> full.
>
>  We are thinking about dis-connecting the battery "strings" and
> charging only 8 at a time, but I do not want to do this each time an
> equalize charge is needed.
>
> Has anyone run into this before?  Any other "tricks" to keep the
> inverter charging at full amps longer when powered from generator?
>
> Jeff Yago

Should School Prayer be mandatory? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com