off grid battery equalization [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at dankoffsolar.com
Mon Sep 20 16:19:42 PDT 2004

Is Gay Marriage a Civil Rights Issue? Click here and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvRbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

I wanted to chime in on this thread for a couple of reasons:  We carry
Surrettes here at Dankoff, I've installed and serviced numerous sets in my
time in the field, and I just installed a set of S530s in my own home last
month.

The electrolyte is standard 1.265 specific gravity electrolyte--nothing
unobtainium there.  Admittedly Surrette builds a denser plate in their
batteries than many other manufacturers--that's one of the ways they get the
capacity and longevity.  But that wouldn't cause the voltage and hydrometer
readings to never rise.

The old batteries were 5 years old--is there a log of how long they took to
recharge when new?  I can't count the number of times I've heard clients
misunderstand that batteries aren't healthy if the voltage quickly shoots
up, and that you can't equalize a battery that isn't full.

So my first questions would be, what are the bulk and float settings of the
inverter now, and what were they with the old batteries?  Recommended
settings for bulk would be 2.37-2.45 volts per cell; float is 2.2-2.23. Of
course, these were reset since re-powering up the system, right?  Do you see
the inverter charge current taper off at the stated 75% full, or  are you
getting the full current still going into the batteries?

If the inverter is going into float while the TriMetric is showing less than
full, what is the charge efficiency factor programmed on the meter?  If
using an E-Meter, did you reset the calculated CEF from the other bank?  I
have seen numerous E-Meter CEF errors on systems that have lots of generator
charging, for some reason.

This is a 48v system, correct?

Also, to answer Kurt's question remember that "Set Max Run Time" doesn't
affect generator run time--it only gives an error light on the inverter if
exceeded.

Phil Undercuffler ext.238
Technical Support
phil at dankoffsolar.com

Dankoff Solar Products

The Premier Manufacturer and Distributor of Solar Water Pumps, and
Wholesale Distributor of Solar Electric, Wind, and Solar Heating Equipment

888-396-6611 toll free
505-473-3800 phone
505-473-3830 fax
www.dankoffsolar.com

on 9/20/04 9:54 AM, Jay Peltz, Peltz Power at jay at asis.com wrote:
> I've seen this problem with Surrettes before.  They have a different
> electrolite solution so they charge differently.
>
> Had a customer who took meticulus notes, ( on some big Rolls) and could
> never get them to come right on the hydrometer or volts.  Never got a good
> response from Rolls either.
>
> Also know of a number of dealers in my area who no longer carry
> Rolls/surrette for the same problems you are having.
>
> Couldn't say if the life or amp capacity isn't correct, but they do act
> differently.
>
> Curious about 1 thing.  Why 16 batteries?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jay
>
> Peltz Power
>

>> I have an off grid client that has a 1.4 kW array, a 6.5 kW Kohler
>> generator, and 16 Decca L-16 size 350 Amp-Hr batteries.  System worked
>> great for 5 years, although limited sun-hours due to being in bottom
>> of a canyon!.  He needed generator about 3 hours run time twice a
>> week. Client recently decided to replace batteries and we supplied 16
>> Rolls Surrette S460 batteries (350AH @ 20 hrs).
>>
>> Client cannot get these new batteries up to full charge.  Nothing else
>> changed in system, same solar input, same generator run time, same
>> loads.  He has tried setting his MPPT controller for equalize, then at
>> end of day setting the Trace SW40 for equalize and running generator
>> up to 6 hours.  He has also tried to "fool" the inverter by resetting
>> the bulk and absorption charge setpoints up to 30 volts to avoid the
>> inverter shutting down the generator before a full equalize charge is
>> complete (which is what it is doing now).
>>
>> He has monitored the charging progress by sp.gr. readings and Amp-hour
>> meter and still can only reach a 75% full level.  Nothing seems to get
>> these even close to 100%.  There are 2 batteries out of the 16 with
>> sp.gr. staying slightly below the others, but since we cannot reach
>> equalization, we cannot force the battery bank to balance.
>>
>> The old batteries did not have this problem and the owner is starting
>> to feel the higher priced Surrette batteries are not as good as his
>> older Decca L-16 batteries which he could re-charge to at least 90%
>> full.
>>
>>  We are thinking about dis-connecting the battery "strings" and
>> charging only 8 at a time, but I do not want to do this each time an
>> equalize charge is needed.
>>
>> Has anyone run into this before?  Any other "tricks" to keep the
>> inverter charging at full amps longer when powered from generator?
>>
>> Jeff Yago

Should School Prayer be mandatory? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com