Fixed vs. Tracking for Pumping (was:PV Trackers) [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Thu Sep 16 13:09:56 PDT 2004

Do you live vicariously through Reality TV? Let us know and win!
http://click.topica.com/caacDv1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Hi Matt,

Not in my opinion.  I much rather add the wattage to a fixed pole.  I look
at it this way.

Take a solar pump that requires 150 watts (actual) to pump at its full
output.  You can install ~ 200 watts (face plate wattage) on a tracker an
increase your daily output in the summer at least 30% (right?).

Or you can add another 100 watts of PV for ~ $600.  Hopefully that price
includes the larger fixed rack but don't forget the tracker costs more than
a fixed rack.  I don't have time to do the actual math with today's prices
but I'm in the ball park.

Over sizing the array does create some issues with matching the array
voltage to the pump and not blowing up the controller but they are easy
enough to deal with.  Or just match the pump to get the daily required
gallons in the amount of time you get with a fixed array.

A failed tracker costs me way more than $600 in lost billable labor and
customer good will.  When a tracker fails in month 14 of operation do you
bill the customer?  I don't.  So after I eat that labor and it fails again
in month 24 I can't really bill them since the darn thing won't keep
running.

Trackers are cool but not for my customers.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services, Inc.

<the use of a tracker for
<pumping water is far better because of the very nature of solar powered
<pumps. You can't simply jam more water through a pump than it's designed to
<pump; the power must be supplied at a particular rate to match the pumps
<perfomance curve. In my experience, the only way to adequately pump with
<solar is to provide the right power over the longest period of daylight
<possible. That means a tracker.

 < So there.

 < Matt T