Fixed vs. Tracking for Pumping (was:PV Trackers) [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Sep 16 14:45:31 PDT 2004

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ChildrenInternational

  Well, I bet the problem I'm having convincing you how I'm right (LOL)
about this is the kind of pumps you're working with. Or maybe not!

  Here's the way I see it: A particular pump is designed to operate withiin
a particular, narrow window of efficiency to deliver a maximum head/flow
ratio. If this pump has a 1200 Watt motor let's say, you aren't going to be
able to give it MORE than it is capable of using without damaging the pump,
damaging the controller, voiding the warranty or blowing off the extra Watts
as waste heat, even though a certain amount of extra run time can be
achieved. Maybe.

  If you use a tracker you can fit the array output to the pump motor
exactly AND have maximum output during the entire day - month - year; plus
you keep the warranty and the machinery in tact. Using a good tracker (and
why shouldn't one last 30 years?) shouldn't worry you at all; yes there may
be moving parts to watch, but so what?

  I think that it's perfectly logical and acceptable to charge for repairs
and maintenance of any machinery/equipment after the warranty is over. All
equipment made is subject to wear and tear and maintenance, right? So why
should a tracker be any different? O.K. the older Wattsuns can run you
ragged chaning motors, photo eyes and controllers. True, true, true. And
yes, they all began failing within an unacceptably short period of
time.........That's why it's so terribly important to periodically purge
your memory cells and start over!

  Matt T