144vdc charging [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Tue Jul 20 22:54:22 PDT 2004

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

Hi y'All
In the 60's we had 60VDC, 60 milliamps per circuit, polar ie 120VDC
battery banks for teletype switching centers. There were lots of systems
out there at that time I have seen ISP backup systems on the same scale
in the last ten years. The batteries were in steel earthquake racks, had
industrial venting over the whole bank. I don't know what the current
draw was, but the bus bars were 1/2" x 4" copper out to the distribution
box. I toured the Bell Telephone teletype switching center on Wall
Street in 1966, the com center was on the 13th floor, the batteries were
so heavy they chose to reinforce the building rather than run the 120VDC
200' or so. The buss bars on that system were 6" x 3". The systems
required very little maintenance, but I did get a nice arc while redoing
the grease on the last positive terminal where it was just a few inches
from the negative, there was a nice little fireball sent up the vent I'm
guessing from some gas from charging the system. We changed the
maintenance procedure to only check and repair the grease, not replace
it semiannually. Monthly maintenance was to check the electrolyte
concentration and level. I don't remember ever adding water to that system.
Just pay attention, keep one hand in your pocket when working on the
stuff, so you don't get a jolt through the heart. If you do get a zap
through your chest, go to the ER.
If your heart has a sustained contraction, etc. it may swell up just
like your hand, it takes time, and you will be glad you spent the time
getting to the hospital instead of just returning to work. If this
happens to your partner it is your responsibility to insist that he get
prompt medical treatment, the injured person may not be rational after
the accident.
cul deant

Hugh Piggott wrote:

> Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
> Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card 0% Intro APR*,
> No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus® award* Start Saving Today –
> APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and secure.
> http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8QcsbdulIia/DiscoverCard
>
> At 7:45 AM -0700 18/7/04, Darryl Thayer wrote:
>
>> I have
>> heard that 'excel tec'? makes inverters of Odd
>> voltages.
>

> This 144V thing sounds like a 120 volt nominal battery. If so then you
> can go to Exceltech. I also recommend Power solutions Australia for
> high power 120 VDC synch/sine inverters, although they maybe only do
> 50 Hz.
> http://www.powersolution.com.au/profile.htm
>
> 120 VDC makes a lot of sense for high power systems and I wonder why
> it is so rarely seen.

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm