144vdc charging [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Jul 20 10:53:14 PDT 2004

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

Hugh wrote:
> This 144V thing sounds like a 120 volt nominal battery.  If so then
> you can go to Exceltech.  120 VDC makes a lot of sense for high
> power systems and I wonder why it is so rarely seen.

This one being discussed happens to be a "real" 144 vdc battery -
actually three 48 vdc batteries in series.  The end of charge voltage
will be up around 170 vdc - too high for a 120 vdc inverter I think.

The big issue in the US with the high voltage battery systems is mostly
due to our safety standards - OSHA etc. considers them to be "hazardous"
locations requiring safety training, restricted access and additional
safeguards - so its generally thought of as not worth it.  Also the
issues of long series connected batteries getting inbalanced is another
issue.  Even the TELCOM guys here in the US have moved mostly back to 48
vdc systems these days.

You can argue that any battery is hazardous - but I prefer working on
batteries which won't bite you if you brush a terminal post.  I have
seen guys with nasty scars from combined chemical/electrical burns from
just touching the electrolyte on the top of a cell of a 120 vdc battery.
No thanks.

I just got back from doing some training in Australia and 120 vdc is
pretty common there for larger systems.  A lot has to do with the lack
of large individual 2 vdc cells there (800 AH or so seems to be the
largest typically used) and the transport / installation issues of these
large batteries in the "outback".  They almost never parallel batteries
there - a bit different thinking...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com