144vdc charging [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jul 20 21:53:27 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

At 11:53 AM 7/20/2004, you wrote:

>This one being discussed happens to be a "real" 144 vdc battery -
>
>You can argue that any battery is hazardous - but I prefer working on
>batteries which won't bite you if you brush a terminal post.
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.

Hi All;

I've been playing with a 144 vdc battery bank in my EV, and considering a
PV charging system. Chris is right: high voltage DC definitely has a lot
more bite. I'm floating the ground of course (EV), so normally you don't
get zapped. But I had a damage battery case allowing a cell to bond to
ground, and when I touched my arm to the chassis while my hand brushed the
battery terminal: I got 90 v hard. Based on that voltage, it was easy to
count cells till I found the bad one.
A few months ago, I had a relay( to a 144 vdc heater) fry in the most
spectacular way. It drew a sustained 1/2" arc, while only pulling 10 amps
(I was able to watch it on the E meter). It never blew the 20 amp fuse, but
threw enough sparks and molten contactor to definitely be a major fire hazard.
However,  I can see the Aussie reasoning for high voltage ,too. I can pull
30,000 watts out of a single string of golf cart batteries. Don't try that
at Home Kids....
On the original thread of controllers for 144 vdc, has anyone talked to BZ
products? They have made odd voltage controllers for me before. Another
possibility is to use a voltage sensing  device like an E-meter and then
have it switch a relay rated for high voltage like a Kilovac. Check out
<kta-ev.com> or <evparts.com>.
BTW, what were the Aussies using for controllers Chris?

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer