PV combiner box protection [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Jun 23 12:54:25 PDT 2004

Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple 60-second
application for mortgage information. Rates are the lowest
they’ve been in 40 years!
http://click.topica.com/caacneLbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Hi Phil;

A dead short doesn't always happen. Many times the wire is pinched and the
short can be less than 20 amps, but more than the cord rating. I have
actually seen burned lamp cord that didn't trip the breaker. Actually take
a survey, but I would say the majority of lamp cord, christmas lights, etc,
that had a short were not full over 20 amp type short circuits. They were
worn insulation with a few copper hairs touching type of connections.
As far as daisy chaining 6 modules,  I agree  that's a problem. I've seen a
few where that last module jbox  was deformed from the heat. I'm just
saying I think a good balance between safety and cost would allow some
careful paralleling of PV circuits. Come on, you're really going to bring
each 50 watt module in a 12 volt system in on a separate wire and breaker?

Ray

>Ray,
>
>I understand your reasoning on this, and can agree  with you to a point.
>the device does fail, and if it does fail in a short, a LOT more than 20

>I just received a photo of a j-box where 6 modules were daisy chained, and
>the last module in the row smoked its terminal strip.  By my calculations,
>it was subjected to 27 amps of current flow at 12v.  I have come to believe
>
>Phil Undercuffler ext.238
>Technical Support
>phil at dankoffsolar.com

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com