New Construction/Standoff/LowProfile Flashing [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 11:19:44 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/UOP

Graham, Mo, Jerry, Tom

Thanks so much for the info.  I appreciate it.

Tom and Grahams comments make one wonder if the standoff and flashing
method is really that much better than simply applying on top of the
comp shingles.  I have seen EPDM last a long time in other
applications (pond liners) - especially out of the sun.

Has any one looked at the relative costs of re-roofing a flashed
standoff mounted array vs. a foot on comp shingles mounted array?
And then compared that to the likelihood of leakage of each method?
Any final thoughts before I order the parts?

Thanks again,

Jeff

>Tom,
>
>I agree with you and have often wondered how long these flashings will
>last if exposed to direct sunlight for many years.  I have only used the
>rubber-boot type flashings a couple of times and made sure they were all
>located under the shade of solar panels.  These were PV installs where a
>low profile was desired, even though I showed the customer both types of
>flashings.
>
>I still see many rubber boot flashings in service installed back in the
>80's which are OK.  Back then, many installers cut a small hole in the
>boot to pass the sensor wire through, next to the copper pipe (SHW
>systems) and this is where these boots typically leak.  It is also
>critical to make sure the boot is not depressed when installed creating
>a pocket which collects water as opposed to a proper conical shaped boot
>which sheds water.
>
>>From discussing this potential problem with roofers: never use rubber
>boots on a flat hot mop roof, the hot tar will melt the boot.  Should be
>OK for sloped comp roofs if installed out of direct sun.  Oatey "solar"
>flashing boots are made from EPDM rubber, a material used as a roofing
>product.
>
>http://www.roofhelp.com/choices/epdm/
>

>Graham

>Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
>Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
>invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
>http://click.topica.com/caaciqZbz8Qcsa9hBZif/Sharebuilder
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

877-SOLARVillage
413-256-6777,  Fax 413-825-0372
61 Baker Rd
Shutesbury, MA 01072

PO Box 115
Boonville, CA 95415
707-895-9015, Fax 707-897-0024

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm