New Construction/Standoff/LowProfile Flashing [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Jun 2 18:40:06 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/UOP

Tom,

I agree with you and have often wondered how long these flashings will
last if exposed to direct sunlight for many years.  I have only used the
rubber-boot type flashings a couple of times and made sure they were all
located under the shade of solar panels.  These were PV installs where a
low profile was desired, even though I showed the customer both types of
flashings.

I still see many rubber boot flashings in service installed back in the
80's which are OK.  Back then, many installers cut a small hole in the
boot to pass the sensor wire through, next to the copper pipe (SHW
systems) and this is where these boots typically leak.  It is also
critical to make sure the boot is not depressed when installed creating
a pocket which collects water as opposed to a proper conical shaped boot
which sheds water.

>From discussing this potential problem with roofers: never use rubber
boots on a flat hot mop roof, the hot tar will melt the boot.  Should be
OK for sloped comp roofs if installed out of direct sun.  Oatey "solar"
flashing boots are made from EPDM rubber, a material used as a roofing
product.

http://www.roofhelp.com/choices/epdm/

Graham

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqZbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com