New Construction/Standoff/LowProfile Flashing [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Jun 3 14:55:20 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/UOP

Jeff,

You mentioned that you “wonder if the standoff and flashing method is
really that much better than simply applying on top of the comp
shingles.”

To me this is an extremely important issue and I firmly believe the
standoff and flashing method is best for the consumer and contractor.
Please let me quickly explain why.

Someday your customer will need to remove the solar array to allow for
re-roofing.  Flashed standoffs can be re-used, reducing the cost for the
consumer, who is often surprised at the cost of labor to remove and
re-install solar arrays, especially at a time when the cost of a new
roof is most likely higher than anticipated.  Roofers do not like holes
drilled into their customers new roof and typically will not warranty
the area of roof with solar if non-flashable mounts are reinstalled.
Roofers often simply apply a second layer over existing roofs, allowing
the existing standoff’s to remain in place.  This allows all conduit (or
plumbing) to fit exactly back into the same configuration, saving even
more money.

As a contractor seeking to reduce liability issues, including roof
leaks, I want the roofer to warranty the roof exposure where the solar
is placed. (Allows me to sleep soundly when it’s stormy). Ultimately
this is best accomplished by having good relationships with roofers who
provide my brochure to homeowners when they are bidding on re-roof jobs.
This works both ways, after you have hundreds of systems in the field
and the years slip by, customers needing to re-roof will often ask for a
referral, obviously the quality roofers supply good leads.

If the solar incentive funds dry up, and the hundreds of new installers
vanish, the next crew on the roof will likely be roofers and they need
pre-installed standoff’s to increase the likelihood that the solar will
be re-installed instead of sold on e-bay.

Graham

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm