Outback Inverters - Master / Slaving [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Apr 14 13:08:38 PDT 2004

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ College Info

Matt Tritt wrote:
> When the generator powers down, there is a very noticeable transfer time
> (with flickering) before the inverters take over. This was what was
> happening when the inverter failed to begin with so we were a bit
> nervous during testing.

I have seen this with many different models of inverters - are you
stopping the generator with the inverter's control or via the
generator's control?  What often happens with large generators with good
voltage regulators is that the generator spins to a stop in a ugly way -
but it is able to keep the AC output voltage acceptable while spinning
down.  The inverters have a hard time deciding if the generator is dying
or is just having a hard time - but since the voltage is good, it stays
connected longer than it probably should...

I've fixed this on a couple of systems by adding a contactor to the
output of the generator - the contactor instantly opens when the
generator is told to shut down - it can be wired into both the
generators control panel and the remote autogenstart circuit as well
usually.  With this contactor installed the shutdown/switchover were
really sweet - I had to do this on all of the multiple SW series
installations I was setting up a few years ago (the original QUAD
configurations - a few of which are still running today - but were a
huge amount of work to program and tune back then...).

>The other thing has to do with the MX 60 apparently being involved with
>some comm. error messages.

This is not something I have encountered - so its hard for me to
comment.  Your solution of isolating it from the HUB/MATE is probably
the best approach (and it solved the problem) so I would stick with that
for now.  I asked others here at OutBack if they had any ideas and will
contact you off-list with any suggestions.

> Many thanks to Outback again for all their help! I feel that any wrench
> should feel comfortable in working with their equipment and their
> technical service.

Thanks to you for sticking with us while we worked this out!

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab8K1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Val Rad
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm