Voltage limiting w/ C40 [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Feb 9 19:11:08 PST 2004

From: Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power

I've thrown a couple of diodes in series a few times for situations like

this - its a reasonable solution and is cheap enough to redo it later.

Hey Christopher,

I just installed two off-grid PV systems and did the control work and
pumps for in-slab heating using March 809BR24's (in-slab guy is going to
charge the system next week).  Then I started following this post and
got a bad feeling in my stomach.

I was thinking along similar lines to your voltage drop solution, but
with a slight twist.  Both of these systems have battery box fans that
come on at user adjustable setting (one via Outback Aux).  Using a
double throw relay, how about having the pumps run battery direct when
below something like 27.6, and than at 27.7 the fan comes on along with
the relay coil which then has the diodes in series to the pumps?  This
way we wouldn't be running the pumps at even lower voltages than the
then low winter/nite time voltages our systems sometimes see in Nov and
Dec.

Thoughts?

Kurt Nelson

- - - -