Astropower [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Fri Feb 6 13:53:26 PST 2004

Wrenches,

This AstroPower thread is interesting, but I think some of the assessments
are misguided. AstroPower has been in major trouble for six months to a
year. The majority of the problems were a result of poor judgment on the
part of the executive officers. As unpopular as the HD method may be to some
wrenches, it was never a program that allowed DIY or just any electrician.
All installers received extensive training from one of the best trainers in
our industry (not me) which is more than can be said for many PV installers.

While I am on that subject, the vast majority of DIY systems are sold by
mail order outfits, not manufacturers. AstroPower had a very strict dealer
policy over the past 3 years. This policy caused them to have much lower
installation problems than many other manufacturers. With all do respect to
the good folks at Backwoods, AstroPower purposely did not want to sell to
those types of resellers because of concerns that DIYers would cause them
numerous headaches that they experienced 4-6 years ago.

Keep AstroPower in your prayers. They are one of the few truly independent
PV manufacturers (for now) and hopefully this chapter 11 bankruptcy will
help them get back on their feet.

Bill.