Astropower [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Fri Feb 6 11:43:46 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Along the same lines, I wonder just how much the Astropower/Home
Depot thing hurt their product. They were, of course, shooting for a
packaged "appliance" that the DIY folks or a "regular" electrician
could install. Bad idea, IMO. The CEC apparently thought that way too
and cut the rebate for DIY. Other states, like Oregon, won't give you
ANY rebate if you DIY. The reason is that those administering the
public benefit monies realize that-as a rule- a professionally
installed system is better, will last longer, and produce more KWH
than a DIY.
Not only that, but some Wrenches-me among them- wouldn't touch an
Astropower PV after they did the HD deal. I don't install what I
don't sell and I'm not about to support a company that encourages
folks to do just that. I've gotta wonder how much that cost them?
Then there's the financial aspects of getting in bed with a HD,
Costco, Wally World, etc. It's pretty well known that a vendor to
those outfits had better be prepared to wait until hell freezes over
to get paid. Net 60 and up are common. That can create big time cash
flow troubles. I sure hope the other PV manus take notice and don't
make the same mistakes.
Bob-O

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection