drawing program [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Jan 28 12:48:58 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Friends:

I would respectfully disagree with several suggestions seen here that Dave
find a drawing program compatible with DXF or DWG formats.  If you look at
his needs-- single line drawings-- you realize he is not doing
architectural or mechanical drawings.   I use Microstation 95, a full
feature drawing suite, for those types of drawings, and it is ill suited
for block diagrams.

Visio, on the other hand, is prefect for what he wants to do.  The learning
curve is much shallower, it prints easily to JPG format, it is commonly
adopted in technical circles and is well supported.

I believe any engineering firm doing our kind of work should have a full
featured 3D CAD program AND Visio.

William Miller

PS:  Visio can open DWG and DXF formats.  I have only done it a few times,
so I am not fully aware of how well it does this.  It will probably choke
on 3D drawings or drawings created with newer version of Autocad, but it is
not out of the question to view DXF/DWG drawings in Visio.

WM

At 08:46 AM 1/28/2004, Christopher Freitas  ---  OutBack Power wrote:
>Dave - I would recommend that you select a drawing program that can
>manipulate and modify .DXF format documents (Autocad files).  We here at
>OutBack have all of our drawings available on our website in this format
>which lets you modify them easily to suit your installations - saving
>you a lot of time when using OutBack products.
>
>I would take a look at AutoCad Lite - although the learning curve is a
>bit steep - you have the power and compatibility to work with more
>expensive program's file outputs. You can get an older version pretty
>cheap off ebay or software clearance places.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com