Do Canceling Meter Legs Work? (Was Re: ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wrenches]

Robert Nuese r.nuese at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 21:33:40 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Fellow Wrenches

I posted a message Friday afternoon raising a question about whether
Doug Pratt's method  "to distinguish between grid feed and PV feed to
the subpanel", in metering an SW gridtie system, will work. I think
maybe nobody noticed my question because of my bad timing - 5:45
Friday, just after the end of the work week. Or maybe my question was
just too dumb to answer - but not as dumb as if I'd left it unasked: I
need to know since I'm in the middle of installing 3 SW systems that
need performance metering. Please someone, let me know if Doug's system
will work, and if so, where my understanding is faulty.

Doug's idea would allow a single meter to measure the total system
output, both that used on the site through the dedicated subpanel and
that sold to the grid, and would automatically combine the amounts and
ignore grid power used through the dedicated subpanel, say at night.
Doug explained his suggestion quite clearly on Dec. 11, 2003:

I hope Doug is right, this looks good to me - But I'm uncertain. The
information I've found so far suggests that a 240v watthour meter, in
effect,  multiplies the sensed current by the sensed voltage difference
between the two line terminals. Some 240v meters can be adjusted for
use on 120v systems by changing the wire routing and installing a
jumper to neutral, as has recently been discussed. In the case Doug
describes, we seem to be doing a 240v installation where the direction
of one leg is reversed to allow in and out currents to cancel one
another under some circumstances. My problem is that the voltage
difference the meter will sense across the two line terminals will
actually be zero. We are not talking about 2 different 120v legs of a
240v, 1-phase system, that are 180 degrees out of phase and thus would
have 240v difference between them. We are talking about 2 different
sections of the same leg of the grid, one of which has passed through
part of the inverter circuitry and then back to the meter, which have
0v difference between them. I suspect this means the proposed setup
won't work.

I'm hoping others will show I'm wrong, because it looks like a good
system otherwise.

So, I'm hoping someone on this list will please tell me I'm wrong, and
explain why. Barring that, does anyone else have a better solution than
two separate meters?

Thanks very much for your help
Robert Nuese

- - - -