ratcheting cyclometers [RE-wrenches]

Robert Nuese r.nuese at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 17:45:47 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Greetings!

I read with great interest the recent "ratcheting cyclometers" posts. I
too, need to install output meters on 3 SW systems I'm currently
installing. Here in California, since April, we are required to install
a "performance meter" on each on-grid PV system which will receive a
state California Energy Commission rebate, so that "…customer can
determine the amount of energy produced by the system."  Seems
reasonable to me, and it would be of value to any customer, even
without the bureaucratic requirement. But how to best do this?

It certainly looked to me like Doug Pratt had solved the problem of how
"to distinguish between grid feed and PV feed to the subpanel" in his
posting of Dec, 11, 2003:

Well, I hope Doug is not missing anything, and it certainly wasn't
immediately obvious to me - But on close inspection, I'm uncertain. I
did some research on the Internet to learn more about how watthour
meters work. I have yet to find any complete internal circuit diagrams,
or thorough texts about meters, but the information I've found so far
suggests that, in effect, the meter multiplies the sensed current by
the sensed voltage difference between the two line terminals. Some 240v
meters can be adjusted for use on 120v systems by changing the wire
routing and installing a jumper to neutral, as has currently been
discussed. In the case Doug describes, we seem to be doing a 240v
installation where the direction of one leg is reversed to allow in and
out currents to cancel one another under some circumstances. My problem
is that the voltage differential the meter will sense across the two
line terminals will actually be zero. We are not talking about 2
different 120v legs of a 240v, 1-phase system, that are 180 degrees out
of phase and thus would have 240v difference between them. We are
talking about 2 different parallel branches from the same 120v inverter
output, which have 0v difference between them. I'm afraid this means
the proposed setup won't work.

I'm hoping others will show me I'm wrong, because it looked like a
mighty good system otherwise.

IF Doug's system doesn't work, then I'm afraid we'll need two meters. I
think the one for the dedicated circuit can be any type, forward only
or both ways, ratcheting or not, since it will only measure output. I
think the one for the line to the grid MUST be calibrated for forward
and backward use, and CANNOT be ratcheting, because then power from the
grid to the dedicated circuits, at night for instance, would be
measured by the dedicated circuit meter as if it was production by the
solar system, without being offset by backwards motion of the other
meter.

If my doubts are valid, this is not a very pleasing arrangement because:
1) It requires 2 meters.
2) It requires user to do addition of amounts on two meters to find
total PV production. On some occasions, this will be addition of a
negative number. On each meter, this is done AFTER doing a subtraction
of a previous reading, to find the amount for the time period. These
calculations will NOT be entirely intuitive for the less technically
inclined customers.
3) The client can only determine total electricity used on premises by
adding to the above calculation the amount shown on the electric
utility meter (adding a negative number during periods when the meter
has run backwards).
4) Even with these three meters, the client has no way of finding how
much of the electricity used on the dedicated circuit was produced by
the PV, or how much used in the rest of the house was produced by the
PV - only the combined PV use. So far as I can tell, finding these
separately would require having 2 meters on the line from inverter to
grid alone (we're now up to 4 meters!), each one set to ratchet in
opposite direction to the other.

So, I'm hoping someone on this list will please tell me I'm wrong, and
explain why. Barring that, does anyone have a simpler solution?

Looking forward to your help,
And Wishing You All a Good 2004,
Robert Nuese

- - - -