Do Canceling Meter Legs Work? (Was Re: ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wrenche

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 08:13:41 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
I believe a 5-jaw meter and socket would be necessary
(the 5th prong of the meter is a neutral connection for the
voltage-sense coils). L1 and L2 lines would be in phase
and 0 V. apart, rather than 240 volts and 180 deg. out of
phase. The 5th jaw-to-neutral connection would put
120 V into both voltage coils, allowing correct operation.

In "single phase" 120/208V installations, a issue problem
occurs. A 4-jaw meter would see 104 V in the voltage coils
rather than 120 V. These applications where 5-jaw meters
are required are fairly common (condo and apartment
buildings for example).

/wk

At 09:33 PM 1/19/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Fellow Wrenches
>
>I posted a message Friday afternoon raising a question about whether Doug
>Pratt's method  "to distinguish between grid feed and PV feed to the
>subpanel", in metering an SW gridtie system, will work. I think maybe
>nobody noticed my question because of my bad timing - 5:45 Friday, just
>after the end of the work week. Or maybe my question was just too dumb to
>answer - but not as dumb as if I'd left it unasked: I need to know since
>I'm in the middle of installing 3 SW systems that need performance
>metering. Please someone, let me know if Doug's system will work, and if
>so, where my understanding is faulty.
>
>Doug's idea would allow a single meter to measure the total system output,
>both that used on the site through the dedicated subpanel and that sold to
>the grid, and would automatically combine the amounts and ignore grid
>power used through the dedicated subpanel, say at night. Doug explained
>his suggestion quite clearly on Dec. 11, 2003:

Simple. Using a standard 240v utility meter, wire the 120v leg from the

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com