[SPAM] - RE: was Rain-X on module glass - Snow Country PV Arrays [RE-wrench

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Fri Jan 9 07:14:58 PST 2004

I have been installing arrays at 85 to 87 degrees of angle for many years
with great results. Pretty much straight vertical from mid November to late
March. In northern Vermont we receive between 120 to 200 inches of snowfall
per year and it is so cold that snow does not shed itself off of modules at
65 to 75 degrees of angle . Even with the dark framed modules I have
witnessed arrays at 75 degrees angle stay covered in snow for up to 5 weeks
before the temperature climbed up into the mid twenties on a sunny day
necessary to shed the snow. We have many great solar days with full bright
sun where the day time temp does not get above 5 to 10 degrees F. Yesterday
and today are good examples - bright sun and minus 5 for a high temp (35
below F at night). So people here either manually brush off the array every
time it snows, or they have a near vertical array. With the straight up
array you never have to sweep the snow off.

An added benefit of the 87 degree vertical array is increased amperage
because of the reflectance off of the white snow on the ground. I have
witnessed 2 amps of incoming pv production from a 1K array while it is
actually snowing! It happens during light snow falls but that beats the
alternative of snow covered cells with zero production.

Dave Palumbo

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm