[SPAM] - RE: was Rain-X on module glass - Snow Country PV Arrays [RE-wrenc

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 9 08:01:36 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi David,

So are you tilting in Summer or are you talking permanent 85 degrees?

jc

>I have been installing arrays at 85 to 87 degrees of angle for many years
>with great results. Pretty much straight vertical from mid November to late
>March. In northern Vermont we receive between 120 to 200 inches of snowfall
>per year and it is so cold that snow does not shed itself off of modules at
>65 to 75 degrees of angle . Even with the dark framed modules I have
>witnessed arrays at 75 degrees angle stay covered in snow for up to 5 weeks
>before the temperature climbed up into the mid twenties on a sunny day
>necessary to shed the snow. We have many great solar days with full bright
>sun where the day time temp does not get above 5 to 10 degrees F. Yesterday
>and today are good examples - bright sun and minus 5 for a high temp (35
>below F at night). So people here either manually brush off the array every
>time it snows, or they have a near vertical array. With the straight up
>array you never have to sweep the snow off.
>
>An added benefit of the 87 degree vertical array is increased amperage
>because of the reflectance off of the white snow on the ground. I have
>witnessed 2 amps of incoming pv production from a 1K array while it is
>actually snowing! It happens during light snow falls but that beats the
>alternative of snow covered cells with zero production.
>
>Dave Palumbo
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
http://www.villagepower.com
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA  95415
(707) 895-9015
Fax: (707) 897-0224

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com