More Kohler RES controller stuff [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Dec 1 15:03:19 PST 2004

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/TopOffers
Hello Group,

Supposedly a fix to eliminate the power draw of the RES controller is in the
works at Kohler. I encourage any one who has experienced a dead starting
battery as a result of controller power drain to complain to your Kohler
rep. Perhaps that will encourage the factory to hustle on this one. I have
found out that these controllers were originally designed for some sort of
marine-based product they make, so it was not engineered for off-grid
applications (and not really utility backup either). Dumb thing is that the
controller's memory is captive, so no power is required when the generator
is off.

BTW, the RES operation manual states that this series is "approved for use
in backup situations where realible utility power is present". Unfortunately
Kohler is touting the RES as a direct replacement for the RMY series. An
irate customer pointed this out in the manual to me - so I had to verify
that the warranty is good in an off-grid situation - which it is.

Just another pain in the butt that our industry seems to abound in
sometimes, for which we have to find a work-around. A fix can be easily done
with a DPST 12vdc relay, but I haven't gotten Kohler to approve my wiring
diagram yet. The remote start (a switch) can energize the relay coil(powered
by the starting battery) and the respective contacts close to both provide
the remote start signal of the generator, and power to the controller. When
the remote switch opens, it disconnects controller power, thus killing the
phantom load.

Kirk

Vermont Solar Engineering
Kirk Herander
North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners
Certified Solar PV Installer(TM)
Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
NYSERDA-eligible installer
Vermont Solar and Wind Partner