Software solution???? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Mon Sep 13 08:45:19 PDT 2004

Are Americans getting fat? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

While this list has been GREAT for the service truck side of wrenching,
here's a question for the office side of our lives...   What software do you
guys use?

We have been limping along for years with a cobbled/custom excel-based
design tool, severely linked to my internal memory/experience and a pile of
catalogs and parts lists.  We have a separate excel "matrix" of customer
contacts from inquiry through project completion.  We use QuickBooks to
write up estimates/invoices and "do the books".  Inventory is pencil and
clipboard.  Project planning, wire size, POs, etc are all done without a
system.

After reading this, I'm amazed we are still in business, I'm still sane and
we are turning a profit (well, mostly sane, and enough profit to owe
taxes...).  There is currently a big bottleneck in our deal flow as things
hit my desk.  My goal is to "systematize" things for quality and efficiency,
and to train out a lot of these tasks to employees.

I met a guy with an incredible excel based tool that does everything.... it
is made mostly for the CA grid tie market, but he showed me the
possibilities and has me dreaming.  I am playing with Solar Sizer a bit, but
that is just part of the process.  I think there are many "software
solutions" tailored to the general electrical contractor and HVAC
industry...  I am looking into a custom database... or working with an Excel
consultant or intern to do our own...

WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND OUT THERE?  WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU SHARE BASED ON YOUR
EXPERIENCES?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701

Phone (740) 597-3111
Fax   (740) 597-1548

www.third-sun.com

End of RE-wrenches at topica.com digest, issue 1560
---

Is Gay Marriage a Civil Rights Issue? Click here and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com