Fw: Clarifications re Fine-Stranded Cables [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Aug 27 18:36:32 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

> For the wrenches--just to clarify the record.
>
> It is unfortunate that the picture of the melted lug could not be posted.
>
> I am not from the nuke industry.
>
> I do not and have not received any money for beta testing Trace or
> any other products.
>
> I am not an employee of Sandia National Labs although I work closely
> with their PV group.  I am an employee of New Mexico State University
> and our funding comes from numerous sources including the US DOE.
>
> The DC 250 is a good piece of equipment (with tight wire bending
> clearances) and Trace/Xantrex is not responsible if the wrong
> conductors are used with it.
>
> I was one of the beta testers on Trace SW4024 (SN 2), but did not use
> it with the DC 250 enclosure. I used a 250-amp breaker in an
> enclosure from Rain Shadow Solar
>
> I publicized the availability of Cobra Flex THW years ago.  Ask Bob-O.
>
> My PV/NEC Suggested Practices Manual has for many years mentioned the
> use of flexible conductors such as the Cobra Flex THW, USE, and RHW
> cables.
>
> I proposed Section 690.74 in the Code that allows the use of Article
> 400 flexible cables for battery interconnections, although I
> personally don't see the need for them.
>
> Last week, I almost connected an excellent (expensive) piece of
> fine-stranded 2/0 AWG USE-2/RHW-2 to a 250 amp breaker, but decided,
> instead to install some of that $%$#@#! 2/0 THHN.
>
> I am glad to see that a few of the wrenches are thinking about and
> discussing this issue.  That is what I intended in the posting.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> If I can provide further information, please do not hesitate to call,
> e-mail or fax me.
>
> John
>
> John C. Wiles,  Program Manager
> Southwest Technology Development Institute, New Mexico State University
> 505-646-6105      505-646-3841 (FAX)   http://www.NMSU.Edu/~tdi
> SWTDI/NMSU
> Corner Research Drive and Sam Steel Way
> Box 30001/MSC 3 SOLAR
> Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caacvggbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com