Outback Inverters - Master / Slaving [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Apr 13 11:41:11 PDT 2004

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab7pJbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

I forgot to comment on this section of Gary's posting:

Windstream Solar-Gary wrote:
> I'm attracted to the technology in this product, but am concerned about
> what would happen if one of the inverters in this quad stack goes down.
> Yes, it's nice to watch the HUB10 scanning away--but what if something
> in this complex integrated system gets sick? How about some procedures
> (that my clients can understand) to run a minimal system on 1 inverter
> if the hub goes down, or on 2-3 inverters if one or two go down or one
> quits? And what if it's the Master? What-if's and clear documentation
> matter so much when the lights go out...

The design of the OutBack FX inverter stacking "network" is designed to
allow for as much fault tolerance as possible - for example a slave
inverter can be shutdown, removed and restarted while the system is
running loads without any problems occurring...  This is one of the
reasons that there was a significant delay in getting the HUB on the
market - we had found a flaw in the approach which allowed a failed unit
to shutdown the system (which we corrected in the final design).  The
inclusion of the X-240 also makes the system more fault tolerant as
well.

The HUB itself has two different communication paths - the one used for
stacking is independant of the MATE's communication - so an electrical
failure of the MATE/HUB is not likely to cause a failure of the stacking
system.  The work the MATE does simply improves the operation of the
stacked system - so a stacked system works without the MATE - just not
as well under some specific conditions (such as charging).

Failure of a MASTER FX inverter will shut down the system - but
remastering the stacked system is pretty straight forward - I have
talked one customer through doing it already (the problem ended up being
a damaged CAT5 cable, BTW) and I advise, for now, telling the customer
to call us directly.  We will be coming out with more documentation
(Robin is really on my a** now to get it done - Thanks!) so keep
posted...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com