Windyboy on AC bus... [RE-wrenches]

RE wrenches Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Fri Feb 20 06:49:06 PST 2004

So... excited by the thought of a marriage between my two favorite
inverters, FX and SB, I am dreaming of this as a system for my next customer
that wants high performance grid tie AND backup - (of course UL listing
means I can get away with just an FX...) BUT this application also might be
interesting for wind - when Bergey finally gets their windyboy version of
the XL-1 online, I am assuming that I could plug it's output into the sub
panel (AC in) where it would grid tie in normal operation.  In a utility
outage it would back feed the FX powered sub panel, sharing loads, but what
if it exceeded the loads?  I assume it would push the voltage out of the
window and go into shutdown cycle....  too bad it couldn't charge the
batteries  when output exceeded usage (I guess an offboard charger would be
a clunky way to do this...).  In one of the Sunnyboy/FX posts there was
mention of using the 12V controller for something - What?

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701