Final conclusion on metering? [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 19 19:28:18 PST 2004

I think you've got the best solution there Kelly. Form 12S 120v meters
will monitor a single inverter just fine. The 5th jaw provides the
neutral connection for the clockworks.

The more common J5 240v meters that Christopher and I are using need to
see 240v across the clockworks. You can manage that only if you've got a
pair of inverters on site in 240v format, and yes, the wiring gets weird
at that point.

I'm glad to see folks finally getting out in the field and just doing
it! All this talk about maybe this works, maybe that works...jeez, just
go try something! And if it doesn't read right, just swap wires around
till it reads in the direction you want, when you want. (Honestly,
that's what we did at my place.)

Cheers,
Doug Pratt

Subject: Re: Final conclusion on metering? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff & Wrenches,
I've ordered a form 12S 120V meter and 5th jaw kit to replace the 2S
240V
meter that doesn't work in our present 120-V application. It seems
possible
to make the 2S work but it's kind of convoluted  and sketchy (to me)
wiring
and, I don't need any more of that!

I'll report how it works out if a bunch of other Wrenches on this quest
don't beat me to it.

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems
986 Wanamaker Rd, Coupeville, WA 98239
ph & fax: 360-678-7131
sunwind at whidbeysunwind.com
www.whidbeysunwind.com
Renewable Energy Now!

> So - in distillation, there seemed to still be lingering questions
about
the
> use of a single 240V 2s meter to measure 2 circuits at 120 with
canceling
> etc. I have one post claiming success, others causing doubt.  I am
about
> wire it up this way....

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com