Fool Sells [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Feb 11 12:36:46 PST 2004

Thought this was interesting - I always have said I would be more
excited about fuel cells if I had a hydrogen well in my backyard... I
guess DOW chemicals has one...

Also - 200 homes from 75kW of output - that 375 watts per house - must
be some pretty energy efficient house in Texas I guess!

Also - the 75 kW is from 400 "automative" fuel cells - thats less 200
watts per fuel cell assembly.  Don't know what kind of chevy they expect
to power with that...

GM, Dow Use Fuel Cells in Freeport, Texas Factory
Detroit Free Press
By Jeff Bennett

February 10, 2004

 Note from General Motors Corp. to fuel cell naysayers: Take a look at
what we have in Freeport, Texas.

 The world's largest auto company is expected today to pull the wraps
off 400 automotive fuel cells it has wired together to generate
electricity at Dow Chemical Co.'s 30-square-mile Freeport complex.

 This real-life approach ups the ante in the race by the automotive
industry to unlock the technology secrets needed to produce affordable
fuel cell cars by 2010.

 Fuel cells produce electricity through a chemical process involving
hydrogen. As a result, water is exhausted, rather than harmful gases.

 Unlike its competitors, which spend at least $1 million apiece to
develop and study one fuel cell-powered car, GM has spent roughly the
same amount to study 400 fuel cells all at once.

 "We are taking the same units that you would find under the hood of a
car, and we are putting them in a stationary environment," said Tim
Vail, GM's director of business development for fuel cell activity.

 GM and Midland-based Dow have also cut a business deal whereby Dow
acquires electricity generated by the fuel cells, which began operating
in late December.

 Currently, the fuel cells generate about 75 kilowatts of electricity,
which is enough to power 200 homes. The amount is expected to increase
to 35 megawatts, enough to power about 25,000 homes a year, by 2006.
That would make Dow the largest user of fuel cells.

 The fuel cells draw power from hydrogen that Dow's plant creates as a
by-product .

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com