E-Meter repair [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Dec 31 14:03:35 PST 2003

Todd Cory wrote:
> Maybe Outback will come up with a system meter incorporating a bar
> graph like the e-meter which also coordinates its
> information with the charging sources, so they can stay synched.
> Christopher, any chance you have in the works a system meter that
> calibrates the "charged" condition with the inverter's charger,
> MX60 and has an easy to read bar graph display?

Yes Todd - we are working on another part for the OutBack "network"
which gives the e-meter type information both to the user (via the MATE)
and to all the products on the communication network.  This will allow
the system to use the amount of amphours removed or added for things
like generator control and equalization - in addition to providing the
state-of-charge level for the batteries to the user.  This has been a
planned part of our system from day one - and has been the next priority
for our engineering group after completing the grid-tie capability
(which, thankfully, is now completed).

The current spec for this "smart shunt" product uses the MATE as the
display - but we have had interest in other markets for a simpler LED
type display as well.  So we might offer two ways to use it - either as
part of the OutBack network with the MATE or stand-alone with either the
MATE or a simpler display. I guess you could also use the smart shunt
without a display and plug one in to check the system operation when on
site.

All input regarding this product would be appreciated (off-line, of
course).

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com