Lags vs. Timberloks [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sun Oct 19 07:22:44 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi y'All
When researching tungsten disulfide I ran across an article on
Molysulfide as a thread lube on cracking towers on the shell refinery in
Holland . The sulfide reacted with heat and moisture to make sulpheric
acid which ate up  the flanges. The siliconeseal mentioned in my
As I recall, there was some mention of this in the GE tech bulletin.

Bruce Geddes wrote:

>>>Use of a lubricant or thread-cutting oil seems to
>>>minimize this problem.
>>>

>>Thanks to a few of the aforementioned Makita incidents and a little
>>

>education from my local fastener supplier, I now carry some anti-seize
>compound in my bag.  The nickel variety is a bit pricey, but works at higher
>temperatures and looks a little less out of place on stainless hardware.
>

>The stainless nylocks I use come with a warning on the box to use a
>luricant, even when using hand tools.  They suggest a graphite based type
>but I have concerns with electrolysis in marine environments with any
>graphite and aluminum.
>
>Bruce Geddes
>PowerOn

- - - -